Recipe courtesy Equinox Restaurant, Washington D.C., Maryland
- 2 ounces Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey
- 1½ ounces apple and ginger purée (recipe below)
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon-cardamom syrup (recipe below)
- 2 dashes of orange bitters
- Orange peel, for garnish
Combine all ingredients except garnish in a cocktail shaker. Stir the mixture well with a bar spoon to completely blend the purée. Serve in a rocks glass and garnish with an orange peel.
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
Place apples in a steamer and grate ¼ teaspoon of fresh ginger on top. Steam the apples until tender. Blend to the consistency of applesauce.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 pods green cardamom
Bring the water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add the sugar, and stir, then remove from heat. Add the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods, and let chill overnight covered. The next morning, fine strain the mixture into another container and reserve.